Best Colon Cleanse of 2023
While the small intestine does much of the nutrient absorption the large intestine, or colon, is where your body converts digested food into fecal matter and stores it prior to evacuation. The colon also helps regulate water levels in the body, absorbs any vitamins and minerals the small intestine may have missed and produces amino acids, among other things (1).
The colon typically goes about its business out of sight and out of mind. But if you’re experiencing bloating, loose stools and/or fatigue these may be signs that it’s time for a colon cleansing. There are a variety of colon cleanse products on the market today that are generally divided into several categories: those that are laxative, those that eliminate parasites and those designed to detoxify. Some will do a bit of each.
Below are the best colon cleanse products for 2023.
1. Nature’s Secret Super Cleanse Herbal and Probiotic Support
Nature’s Secret Super Cleanse takes a natural approach to colon cleansing. It features 14 herbs, an assortment of fibers and generous probiotic support. It is generally regarded as one of the more effective and gentle cleansers. Nature’s Secret falls into the category of laxative, so keep that in mind when deciding if it is for you.
However, it also possesses the ability to detoxify the colon. This dual nature, in addition its gentle manner and overall effectiveness, weighed heavily on our decision to place it at the top of our best colon cleanse list. This colon cleanse is designed to work over a period of as much as 30 days. During which time bowel movements should take on normal healthy characteristics and you should feel increasingly energetic and alert.
2. Dr. Tobias Colon 14 Day Cleanse
Dr. Tobias Colon Cleanse is a dietary supplement designed to support digestive health through regular bowel movement and toxin removal. It contains a blend of herbs, fibers, and probiotics, including Cascara Sagrada, Senna Leaf, and Psyllium Husk, and is optimized for a 14-day cleanse.
This product aims to promote overall health by enhancing digestive function and nutrient absorption. It is manufactured in a GMP-compliant facility for quality assurance but may have side effects like bloating and cramping. Dr. Tobias focuses on helping individuals become their best selves through various nutritional supplements and vitamins.
3. Health Plus 10-Day Cleanse Detox
Health Plus is a well-respected maker of various dietary supplements and this detoxing colon cleanse is another feather in their company cap. Each Health Plus 10-Day Cleanse Detox capsule is fortified with 9 herbs, probiotics and a healthy dose of dietary fiber. As the name states this is a 10 day detox and cleansing program whereby you take 2 capsules in the morning and 2 in the evening with a large glass of water. One of the main ingredients is the non-prescription laxative senna leaf.
Besides senna Health Plus leans heavily on psyllium husk fiber; a time tested laxative with no known side effects. In addition, there’s fennel seed to address bloating, papaya leaf that is loaded with antioxidants and acidophilus. Acidophilus plays a key role in restoring and maintaining bacterial balance in the colon.
4. Futurebiotics Colon Green Capsules
Rather than reinventing the colon cleanse wheel Futurebiotics simply looks to perfect the one that exists. It uses a tried and true combination of cleansing herbs and fiber to scour the colon of toxins and promote healthy regular bowel movements. This is perhaps as close as you’ll come to a truly “natural” colon cleanse. It contains alfalfa, triphala, watercress, echinacea, and rosemary leaf while being free of sugar, starch, yeast, soy, gluten and artificial preservatives and colors.
Each capsule also contains generous amounts of lactospore and pancreatin, 2 probiotics that work to restore a healthy bacterial balance. There is no particular time limit indicated for this treatment. Instead, it is recommended you take 4 capsules per day until your distress passes. Futurebiotics may not be a household name but they have been producing high-quality, safe and effective supplements for 35 years.
5. Sanar Naturals Colon Cleanser and Natural Laxative
Sanar Colon Cleanser is a laxative-type cleanser you take at bedtime with a large glass of water. It’s comprised of 13 beneficial herbs including cascara sagrada, blond psyllium and more. This is not a long-term treatment but it can be a long-term solution to what ails your colon. It is recommended you take 1 – 3 Sanar capsules with water at bedtime.
In the morning your constipation and bloating should be significantly reduced. You may want to continue taking it for several days until you are certain order is restored and proper bowel movements become the norm once again. The maker recommends this particular colon cleanse be used at the start of a new weight loss routine or a new diet. This will remove harmful residue from unhealthy eating and set the stage for more effective nutrient absorption and overall colon health going forward.
6. MagixLabs OxyOne Colon Cleanser
MagixLabs OxyOne cleanser leverages elemental oxygenated magnesium to gentle scour the colon and remove harmful bacteria and lingering toxins that have resisted elimination. Once it enters the colon oxygenated magnesium breaks down into its component parts: magnesium and oxygen. The oxygen then goes to work removing old fecal matter stuck to the walls of the colon.
Some of the magnesium is absorbed by the walls of the intestine and helps prevent osteoporosis, heart disease, Type II diabetes and much more (2). OxyOne Colon Cleanse contains in excess of 50% more elemental oxygenated magnesium than other, similar products. It’s also free of GMOs and produced in an FDA-registered, Good Manufacturing Practices certified facility so you can be sure of product quality and safety.
7. Yerba Prima Psyllium Whole Husks Colon Cleanser
Yerba Prima Colon Cleanser takes the fibrous route to colon health. It’s primary ingredient is all-natural psyllium whole husks (3) that produce dependable, healthy BMs without having to rely on artificial ingredients or chemicals. It’s recommended you take 2 servings of Yerba Prima Psyllium per day to clean yourself out and return to robust colon health.
In short order you’ll notice you feel less bloated, more satiated after eating and that you suffer from less gas than you did before. This supplement is free of sugar, artificial color and fillers and is also gluten free while being an excellent source of fiber. This is not a month-long restorative program. This is a supplement you take for a few days until you return to feeling like your old regular, light on your feet self.
8. Dr Natura Colonix Mineral Supplement
Dr Natura Colonix Mineral Supplement is another laxative style colon cleanser that leverages the power of fiber. This is a 3 component cleanser that takes a holistic approach to colon health. There’s psyllium fiber to keep things moving, 17 herbs to promote liver and intestinal health and the company’s KleriTea which helps in detoxification.
While the company provides you with a 30 day supply you aren’t going to need to take it every day for a month to start feeling better. Chances are after a week or two you’ll be back to your normal, energetic self and can put the remainder of you Dr Natura on the shelf in a cool dry place until you need it again.
9. ASL Keto Detox Weight Loss Cleanser
It just wouldn’t be 2019 if we didn’t have something keto-related on our list and here it is. The Alpha Strength Labs Keto Detox Weight Loss Cleanser. One of the many positive attributes of the keto diet is its ability to produce a sort of natural detoxification of the entire body. Most of the ingredients here will be familiar to anyone who has spent any time on, or researched, the keto diet. Those ingredients include green coffee bean, garcinia cambogia, raspberry ketones and more.
These are all fat burning ingredients that will help you slim down (as long as you cut back on your carbs at the same time). But ASL has also included plenty of psyllium husk fiber too so you can not only purge your system of impurities, you can also flush them out effectively.
10. Blue Hawaiian Cleanse – Colon Cleanser with Coconut Oil
The last of our colon cleansers is this one from Blue Hawaiian. This is another laxative style colon cleanser and uses a combination of flax, senna and psyllium to clear toxins from your colon and evacuate them in a regular fashion. In addition, there are proven digestive cleansing agents in the form of ginger, apple pectin, elm bark and licorice root.
While you will no doubt begin to see results soon after first taking this colon cleanser don’t stop before the real magic happens. Because after a week or so of taking this you’re going to wonder how you ever put up with feeling bloated and lethargic for so long.
What is a Colon Cleanse?
A colon cleanse is exactly what it sounds like. The large intestine (colon) has a thankless but crucial role to play in a person’s overall health. But from time to time it’s possible for the colon to become overwhelmed by residual waste products and toxins from unhealthy foods. These items can cling to the walls of the colon inhibiting free movement of materials and disrupting the natural bacterial balance. They may even contribute to growth of harmful bacteria that can lead to the development of colorectal cancer (4).
When toxins accumulate you can feel lethargic and bloated and may also suffer either diarrhea or constipation. A colon cleanse introduces elements that scour the intestinal walls, promote the growth of healthy bacteria and restore your natural regularity. The end result is you feel lighter and brighter and more energetic.
What are the Benefits of a Colon Cleanse?
Most people never give their digestive system a second thought. About the only time we’re aware we even have a large intestine is when we have diarrhea. But bad eating and drinking habits, along with plain old negligence can lead to a situation where the colon becomes dysfunctional and overall health and quality of life suffers.
The colon cleanse can be roughly equated to changing the oil on your car. If you don’t change the oil regularly your engine falls victim to tiny pieces of dirt and debris that accumulate in the oil and inhibit performance while damaging vital parts. Changing the oil cleanses your system of this gunk. Same with a colon cleanse.
The benefits of a colon cleanse then are many and include:
- Elimination of waste products – While some colon cleansers take the long-term approach others are designed to rapidly clear what ails you out of your system. When a person eats unhealthy or unnatural foods, or simply foods their system is not used to, it can affect everything from their brain (5) to their digestive system. Once the food reaches the intestines they have to work harder to move the waste from these unhealthy items through. Sometimes the colon is up to it. Sometimes it’s not. In those cases you’ll wind up constipated or diarrhetic. You may also experience cramps, bloating, a lack of energy and a loss of appetite. Removing this harmful waste will more often than not, clear up the problem.
- Reduction in acne and other ailments – The connection between intestinal health and skin conditions such as acne has been known for some time (6). While the exact mechanisms are still little understood the fact that there is a connection of some sort is a medical given today. Cleansing your colon of impurities is believed to be an important first step in, if not curing acne, then at least reducing its frequency and impact. If your colon is clogged with impurities and has become a breeding ground for unhealthy bacteria the digestive burden shifts to other organs that may or may not be up to the task. If they’re not toxins will back up, intestinal function will break down and your skin will suffer as a result. A colon cleanse can correct this situation.
- Greater energy levels – Once your system has been purged of toxins, old fecal residue and unhealthy bacteria your entire digestive tract will work more effectively. As a result you’ll absorb more nutrients and may even experience a slight uptick in your metabolic rate. The overall effect will be that you feel more energetic, have greater stamina and will also feel like a fog has lifted from your brain.
- The return of your appetite – Often times when our colon is misfiring we can lose our appetite. That’s because every little thing we eat seems like it just goes in and stays in and contributes either to greater bloat or another bout of diarrhea. It’s disheartening and a real appetite killer. Undergoing a colon cleanse can have the often unexpected benefit of restoring our appetite for our favorite (hopefully healthy) foods.
Is a Colon Cleanse Safe?
Doctors perform tens of thousands of colon irrigation’s every month in the US. While millions of people every year use some form of home colon cleansing product. As of this writing there has never been a case of an otherwise healthy person dying from this or any other proper type of colon cleanse. So yeah, a colon cleanse is safe.
Although all types of colon cleansing are considered safe for healthy people by the medical community there are a few types of people who might want to take at least a temporary pass. These include pregnant women, people with active hemorrhoids, those who suffer various types of kidney disease and those who may be dehydrated when they are considering a colon cleanse. Also people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome or ulcerative colitis (7) are not good candidates for some forms of colon cleanse.
Is a Colon Cleanse Really Necessary?
That depends on whether your enjoy feeling on top of your game or if you are content to feel bloated, sluggish and disengaged. Also, there are some circumstances when a colon cleanse is more than just something that’s nice to do. Chronic constipation (8), for instance, can lead to a plethora of nasty or downright dangerous conditions including anal fissures, loss of bowel control and more. Therefore it is never a good idea to allow constipation to drag on indefinitely.
A healthy gut displays a perfect balance of bacteria and if this balance is disrupted it can lead to all manner of trouble. You may think, for instance, that your inability to focus at work has something to do with your sleep patterns or even the weather. When in reality it may be a sign that your large intestine is hopelessly clogged and is not evacuating toxins the way it was designed to. Some of these toxins are finding their way into your bloodstream causing the fog you’re experiencing. In some cases that foggy feeling in your brain may be a warning sign of sepsis (9), a potentially fatal blood infection that often accompanies chronic constipation (10).
So, is a colon cleanse really necessary? Well, if you feel fine and are experiencing regular bowel movements it may not be necessary. Or even desirable. If however, you find yourself chronically constipated it may not only be desirable, it may be absolutely necessary to ward off serious life-threatening conditions such as sepsis.
What are the Side Effects of a Colon Cleanse?
In most cases the most obvious (and welcome) side effect of a colon cleanse will be a return to regularity and overall intestinal health. Those are the kind of side effects we can all live with just fine. But there is a possibility that overdoing it with colon cleanses could produce some unwanted side effects that vary in their severity. These potential side effects include but are not limited to:
- An imbalance in electrolytes – Using the laxative form of colon cleanse more often than you need to in an attempt to induce weight loss (or for any other reason) may result in an imbalance in electrolytes (11) in the body. Electrolytes play a key role in balancing water levels in your body, making sure nutrients get to the cells that need them and more.
- Dehydration – Many types of colon cleanse have the effect of draining the body not only of toxins but of fluids as well. As a result, if a person is not careful they may experience dehydration. Dehydration can induce that brain fog we talked about earlier. It may also produce headaches, muscle cramps, dizziness, insomnia, confusion and a host of other ailments. Drink water when using a colon cleanse product.
- Loss of intestinal bacteria – Inducing diarrhea too frequently in an effort to prevent constipation or even in a misguided attempt to lose weight can result in a loss of the very intestinal bacteria the colon cleanse was at least partially designed to restore. This can then lead to skin conditions, kidney problems and even heart problems if the proper bacterial balance is not restored.
The Bottom Line
The goal of the colon cleanse is to restore intestinal health and balance. It’s an often overlooked way to feel better and more energetic and it can help stave off a rash of potential health problems in both the short and long term. Just be sure not to overdo it and by all means, we urge you not to attempt to use frequent colon cleansings as a way to lose weight.