At some point in their life most women lament carrying around a bit more weight than they’d like. There are a number of factors working against women staying naturally slim as they age including long hours sitting at their desk, no time to get the exercise they need, the modern carb-heavy diet and even immune cells in their stomach slowing their metabolism (1). It’s enough to make you throw in the towel. But not so fast. Diet pills have something of a checkered past, but many of today’s weight loss pills are scientifically formulated and, when taken as directed, are safe and effective.
Below are the 10 best diet pills for women in 2021.
1. Nutratech Atrafen Fat Burner and Appetite Suppressant
Nutratech Atrafen is produced in the US in an FDA certified facility. It keeps things simple by relying heavily on a few key ingredients. Those include green tea extract, apple cider vinegar and raspberry ketones. Anyone familiar with the keto diet will recognize raspberry ketones as an essential part of that low-carb prescription for weight loss.
These exogenous ketones (ketones produced outside the body) metabolize fat into energy which is the equivalent of weight loss gold. Of course, raspberry ketones will work much more effectively if taken in concert with a true keto diet. But even by themselves they are likely to provide some fat burning capability. Atrafen also features green tea extract which is known for its ability to increase metabolism and is being used by many manufacturers today as an alternative to caffeine.
2. Skinny Gal Weight Loss Pills for Women
There are a number of diet pills today that are phasing caffeine out of their formulations and replacing it with things like garcinia cambogia, green tea extract and raspberry ketones. Skinny Gal Weight Loss Pills is one of them. The formula here leverages ketones and garcinia cambogia as its primary fat burning agents. But it also includes a fair amount of caffeine, because, hey, it still works even if it is potentially problematic.
Skinny Gal is part of the Rockstar line of dietary supplements that have been earning quite a bit of critical praise for their dedication to quality ingredients and good manufacturing processes. To their credit the makers also emphasize the need for proper diet and exercise and they offer a 30 day satisfaction guaranteed refund.
3. Shred Her All Natural Thermogenic Fat Burner
Shred Her All Natural Thermogenic Fat Burner provides a litany of proven fat burners including green tea extract, raspberry ketones, bitter orange extract (synephrine) and caffeine. The presence of so many fat burning and metabolism boosting ingredients means that it doesn’t have to rely solely, or even primarily, on caffeine. Which is a good thing. Especially for women who may be caffeine sensitive.
The reduced role of caffeine also reduces the chance of a negative reaction to the caffeine/synephrine duo. In addition raspberry ketones, if taken in conjunction with a low-carb diet, can and often do result in significant weight loss. There’s little doubt that this formula will help you lose weight if you eat right and exercise. Even if you are not on a ketogenic diet. And you really can’t ask for much more than that from a diet pill.
4. Sheer Appetite Suppressant for Women
Sheer Appetite approaches weight loss from a slightly different angle. Where most women’s diet pills seek to burn fat by increasing your metabolism and/or boosting your energy levels Sheer Appetite seeks to help you slim down by suppressing your appetite. It’s a sound strategy since you can’t gain weight if you don’t eat. But is this particular diet pill effective?
Based solely on the ingredient list we’d have to give it a better than even chance. Hoodia Gordonii, rhodiola rosea (2) and other ingredients have been prized by practitioners of traditional medicine for centuries and are believed to not only suppress appetite but to also enhance the metabolism.
5. BeLive Fusion Burn Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss Pills
BeLive leverages the fat burning capabilities of apple cider vinegar in their Fusion Burn Weight Loss Pills for Women. To move things along they also toss in 100 mg of caffeine, green tea extract, garcinia cambogia and raspberry ketones. When taken as a whole it seems likely that BeLive Fusion Burn capsules will help provide a turbo boost to your weight loss efforts, if you are also watching what you eat and exercising.
There are no revolutionary ingredients at work here. What makes Fusion Burn noteworthy is the sheer volume of fat burning, energy stimulating and metabolism increasing ingredients that have been brought together in one capsule.
6. Urus Diet Pills & Appetite Suppressant
Birch leaf, peppermint, dandelion, corn silk, hibiscus, horsetail and lactose don’t at first sound like they belong anywhere near a diet pill. But here they are. Why? Well, birch leaf is known to be an effective diuretic, hibiscus tea is used in many countries to aid in weight loss, ditto for horsetail tea and the other ingredients all have their supporters championing their natural ability to burn away fat and increase the metabolism. The good news?
None of these ingredients are known to produce any significant side effects. The bad news? While anecdotal evidence is plentiful there is precious little scientific evidence to back up weight loss claims. Still, millions swear by these ingredients so those seeking an alternative to caffeine and synephrine, here you go.
7. Phenoral Maxx Maximum Strength Weight Loss Diet Pill
Whereas many weight loss supplements and diet pills today are trying to move away from caffeine for a variety of reasons, Phenoral Maxx weight loss pills embrace this most popular and effective of natural stimulants with open arms. Each capsule here provides you with 200 mg of big C along with a few window dressing ingredients presumably intended to mollify concerns about taking that much caffeine at any one time.
If you’re caffeine sensitive you’ll want to give Phenoral Maxx a pass. If you’re not you may think Phenoral Maxx is the best thing since espresso. And it just may be. We would only advise that you use caution because, like espresso, too many of these is likely to boomerang on you and make you anxious and jumpy.
8. Evlution Nutrition Trans4orm Fat Burner Supplement
Caffeine, yohimbe, black pepper, green tea extract and more come together in Evlution Nutrition’s Trans4orm Fat Burner. The foundation ingredients are buttressed by herbal extracts including huperzine A as well as vitamins and amino acids intended to preserve muscle integrity and help in the building of new lean muscle tissue.
But while black pepper, green tea extract and yohimbe are thought to help increase metabolism and to provide thermogenic benefits there’s no denying that caffeine is the star of this show. At 175 mg you’ll get quite a shot. One that will get you up and back in the game. Just don’t overdo it.
9. NatureWise Pure Garcinia Cambogia
NatureWise is well known for their vitamin and mineral supplements and is generally well-regarded for the time and attention they give to their formulations. Here though there is no formulation to speak of. They’re going all-in on garcinia cambogia. The active ingredient in garcinia cambogia is HCA and it is believed to aid in blocking excess carbs from being turned into fat stores.
HCA is also thought to enhance serotonin levels. This is important because serotonin plays an important role in providing emotional stability. And we all know that it’s often feelings that lead to excessive eating.
10. HERdiet Weight Loss Pills for Women
You’re not going to find any new-age ingredients in HERdiet Weight Loss Pills. Instead what you’ll find are trimethylxanthine, beta-phenylethylamine, hydroxytryptophan and synephrine. While that sounds like quite the mouthful the fact is that trimethylxanthine is just a fancy name for caffeine, that beta-phenylethylamine is commonly found in chocolate and plays a role in neural transmission, that hydroxytryptophan is an amino acid that is believed to increase the metabolism and that synephrine – commonly known as “bitter orange extract” – is also used to enhance metabolic rates and efficiency.
We’d be remiss if we did not point out that synephrine is considered somewhat problematic if it is used in conjunction with caffeine, as it is here. Although there is no conclusive evidence at this point to support that, mostly circumstantial evidence.
What Benefits do Diet Pills Offer Women?
The best diet pills can help women overcome some of the physiological handicaps they have to deal with that makes losing weight more difficult for them then it is for men. Those natural handicaps include:
- Opioid driven food cravings – Women’s brains seem hardwired to crave unhealthy foods at a greater rate than men. This is especially true around the time of their period. It’s believed by some that these cravings are linked to something called “endogenous opioid peptides”. These are a form of amino acid that seems to control appetite (3). During their period it’s thought women have more of these EOPs circulating in their system. Diet pills can help you counteract the effect of these OEPs. At least to some degree.
- Naturally higher body fat – Estrogen and other hormones cause women to retain a higher percentage of body fat than men do. Certain ingredients in diet pills can help offset this natural female bias toward the retention of adipose tissue.
- Lower tolerance for caffeine – Many women have a naturally lower tolerance for caffeine. Since many diet pills historically have leaned heavily on caffeine as an activating agent women often wound up feeling bad when taking them. Today, the best diet pills are not so dependent on caffeine to stimulate the nervous and metabolic systems and instead will utilize alternatives such as ginko biloba which have been shown to stimulate cognitive function(4).
While diet pills are not the be-all, end-all of supplements they can provide important assistance in helping women overcome some of these natural physiological barriers to weight loss.
What Exactly is in The Best Diet Pills for Women?
Diet pill makers today take a variety of paths to reach a similar goal. Some go the tried and true caffeine-based route, while others rely more heavily on alternative ingredients known to stimulate the metabolism and bring appetites under control. Ingredients that can commonly be found in the best diet pills for women today include:
- Garcinia cambogia – Garcinia cambogia has been gaining more and more traction in the diet pill sector for several years now. As more evidence comes to light regarding its purported ability to burn fat by increasing the metabolism it’s likely that ever more producers will be either including it in their existing formulations or creating new pills based on garcinia cambogia as the primary ingredient. It is not entirely clear exactly what mechanism garcinia cambogia uses to facilitate weight loss, although some researchers believe it may mimic ketogenic effects and activate the mitochondria in cells that burn fat for energy. Others believe it may have an effect on serotonin levels. Still, there is no real consensus. About the only thing everyone seems to agree on is that it does produce some beneficial weight loss effects.
- Caffeine – Caffeine is a staple of most weight loss pills and has been for decades. Why? Because it works. Caffeine provides a jolt of energy that gets people up out of their seat and back into their life. As legendary fitness guru Jack Lalanne used to say “Old age doesn’t kill people, inactivity does.” Caffeine also has a number of other potential benefits for both women and men including bolstering the metabolism through thermogenesis and potentially helping to ward off the onset of Type II diabetes. Caffeine however, is not without its potential downside as well. The most common negative side effects of caffeine are anxiety, insomnia and other health problems brought on by lack of sleep. Perhaps most disturbing is that research indicates that when women consume 31–250 mg of caffeine per day they may have an elevated risk of developing fibrocystic breast disease (5). For all these reasons and more caffeine has been taking on a less prominent role in the formulation of the best diet pills for women.
- Green tea extract – Green tea extract has been shown to be effective as well as generally safe. It is used in diet pills primarily for its thermogenic properties and derives these from epigallocatechin. Green tea extract is also believed to have anti-inflammatory properties and to produce antioxidant effects. As manufacturers have looked for ways to decrease the amount of caffeine in diet pills they have increasingly leaned on alternatives like green tea extract, which has only a small amount of caffeine. Some research indicates that green tea extract may increase total energy expenditure although more study in this regard is necessary before any ironclad conclusions can be drawn.
- Protein – Protein has long been known to provide a slight boost to the metabolism which in turn results in your body burning more fat, even when at rest. Protein is also necessary when it comes to building and maintaining lean muscle mass. And because muscle requires more blood, nutrients and oxygen than fat cells, (which are essentially inert), more muscle typically equals a faster metabolism and a naturally leaner body. This claim has been borne out in a number of recent studies over the past decade (6). Protein also tends to increase the feeling of satiety. The mechanisms by which it accomplishes this are not fully understood but believed to have something to do with its effects on certain hormones.
- Fiber – It is believed that soluble fiber can help suppress a woman’s appetite and may even play a role in subconsciously leading women to make healthier eating choices (7). That would, of course, lead to reductions in fat stores. Soluble fiber also plays an important regulatory role for certain hormones and can slow down the processing of nutrients in the gut, which also aids in generating a feeling of being full for longer.
Are There Any Ingredients That Should be Avoided?
There are several ingredients that sometimes find their way into diet pills but are potentially problematic. These include:
- Synephrine – Synephrine, or bitter orange extract as it’s commonly known, is used in a number of diet pills. By itself in small quantities it doesn’t necessarily present a problem. But when using in conjunction with caffeine side effects may become more apparent and include dizziness, blurred vision, sweating, chest pain and more.
- Ephedra – Ephedra was once a common ingredient in diet pills but it has since been banned by the FDA. Ephedra has been linked to a series of life-threatening side effects (8) including heart attack, seizures, stroke, fainting and even death. If your diet pill says it contains ephedra we would urge you to not take it.
- DMAA – DMAA or 1,3-dimethylamylamine is another ingredient that has been banned by the FDA after serious questions arose about its safety. It is illegal for diet pills in the US to contain DMAA. But that doesn’t stop some makers from trying to slip it past regulators. Side effects may include heart attack, seizures, tightness in the chest, psychological issues and more.
Do Diet Pills Produce Any Side Effects?
Diet pills for women are not entirely without their potential side effects. While not every woman who uses these supplements will have a negative experience it is likely that some will. These potential side effects are associated with the various ingredients used in different diet pill formulations, such as:
- Caffeine – As we have already seen caffeine is not perhaps the best stimulant for use in women’s diet pills. Since women typically have a lower resistance to caffeine its inclusion in a diet pill may result in anxiety, nervous energy, upset stomach and more. Research also indicates that consuming large amounts of caffeine may eventually lead to greater caffeine resistance, which leads women to consume ever-greater amounts (9).
- Garcinia cambogia – Garcinia cambogia is often used in diet pills as a way to help control appetite. And it has proven its worth in this regard over the years. However, it is not without its side effects as well and these may include dizziness, confusion, digestive problems and skin rashes. Keep in mind too that the longer GC sits around the less effective it is.
- Yohimbe – This ingredient is sometimes used in diet pills because of its ability to ramp up energy levels by accessing and releasing adrenaline. Sometimes however, it can release too much and a woman winds up experiencing rushes, anxiety, nausea and elevated blood pressure. Keep in mind however, that such reactions are extremely rare.
- Apple cider vinegar – Some diet pills for women use apple cider vinegar to facilitate weight loss. But while apple cider vinegar is known to provide a number of health benefits (10) it should also come with a warning label attached. That’s because it is suspected of lowering potassium levels and, in its undiluted form, it has been known to cause throat burns.
The Bottom Line
Finding just the right diet pill for you will likely take a bit of trial and error. But that’s no excuse to put off the process. With so much pressure and stress on your body and mind from all directions these days it’s important to stay physically fit and ready to face the challenges of the day, whatever they may be. The best diet pills can help you do that by reducing fat stores, providing you increased energy and vitality and counteracting the negative effects of questionable dietary choices.
A detox cleanse is intended to rid the body of toxins that build up in a person’s system over time. These toxins may come from the food we eat or the environment, but regardless of their point of...
Men have different nutritional needs than women and those nutritional needs change as they age. The right multivitamin for a 25 year old man is not the same as the right multivitamin for a 65 year...