Best Garcinia Cambogia Supplements of 2023
Because of its ability to accelerate human metabolism garcinia cambogia has gained a lot of positive press in recent years. Garcinia is a potent ingredient to many diet pill formulas. It’s found widespread favor with those who wish to lose weight but don’t want to get caught up in the whirlwind of trendy diets and roller coaster weight loss/weight gain cycles that come with them.
Garcinia Cambogia promises to provide genuine sustainable weight loss (1) in a natural manner without gimmicks or tons of questionable additives. The good news is that, when combined with sensible eating and exercise, it actually works for many people.
Below are the best garcinia cambogia supplements on the market today.
1. NatureWise Pure Garcinia Cambogia
As is the case with NOW, NatureWise bolsters the metabolism lifting properties of garcinia cambogia with a healthy dose of chromium. Unlike NOW they also toss in black pepper extract. Another ingredient that is often credited with metabolic increases. Each of their capsules is comprised of 60 percent hydroxycitric acid – commonly referred to in the supplement industry as HCA – which is believed to be the most bioactive form of garcinia cambogia. NatureWise contains no artificial flavors, fillers or coloring.
It’s both vegan and vegetarian friendly and has no gluten or genetically modified organisms. Independent lab tests suggest the amount of HCA in this supplement is actually more like 66 or 67 percent, rather than 60. So, you’re likely to get all you need to jump start your weight loss efforts.
2. NOW Super Citrimax Garcinia Cambogia
NOW produces some of the most popular and trusted supplements you can buy. So when they waded into the garcinia cambogia market a lot of people took notice. Their Super Citrimax Garcinia Cambogia supplement is more than just another GC pill. It also features ginseng, calcium, chromium and iodine. All known to help facilitate the action of garcinia cambogia. Super Citrimax is also soy free, gluten free, nut free, dairy free and sugar free.
Along with being vegan and vegetarian. Super Citrimax, like all NOW supplements, is produced in a GMP facility to rigorous US standards. It’s an outstanding choice for those with particular dietary requirements or who otherwise want to explore the weight loss potential of garcinia cambogia.
3. NutriGold Garcinia Cambogia Gold – 500 mg
NutriGold Garcinia Cambogia Gold features a patented blend of HCA garcinia cambogia alongside potassium and calcium salts. As such it is maximized for absorption. Each capsule is 500 mg and certified allergen free by a third party lab. It’s also 100 percent free of genetically modified organisms and that fact is verified by the independent Non-GMO Project Product Verification Program.
A non-profit organization dedicated to keeping GMOs out of our food and dietary supplements. Like many of the best garcinia cambogia supplements this one from NutriGold combines GC with potassium and calcium to facilitate bioavailability and optimize its metabolism boosting qualities.
4. Himalaya Organic Garcinia Cambogia
Himalaya Organic Garcinia is a valuable addition to a weight loss regimen due to its hydroxycitric acid (HCA) content, which inhibits the conversion of carbohydrates into fatty acids and supports normal serotonin levels, aiding in appetite control and satiety. It can also promote healthy lipid metabolism, but it should be used alongside a healthy diet and exercise.
The product is USDA Organic, Non-GMO, vegan, and sourced sustainably through fair trade farming partnerships.5. Diet Works Garcinia Cambogia Tablets
5. Garcinia Cambogia Weight Loss Pills
BioSchwartz offers high-purity Garcinia Cambogia pills with 60% HCA, potassium, and calcium to support weight management and metabolism when combined with a healthy lifestyle. These capsules are rigorously tested for ingredient purity and concentration to ensure their effectiveness and are manufactured in a GMP-certified facility in the USA without fillers or artificial ingredients, setting a new standard for quality in Garcinia Cambogia supplements. Many users also pair them with BioSchwartz colon detox supplements for added benefits.
to do its job (3). Take the label claim of 800 mg “per serving” with a grain of salt since each capsule is but 400 mg.
6. Orphic Nutrition Pure Garcinia Cambogia Extract
Orphic Nutrition also goes the “per serving” route when describing their Garcinia Cambogia Extract. Claiming that they provide 2100 mg per serving. And while that is technically correct if you follow their advice of taking 3 capsules at at time each of their GC capsules is actually 700 mg.
Marketing issues aside this is a fine supplement that combines all the usual suspects of garcinia cambogia, calcium, potassium and chromium to provide you with the best chance of enjoying the metabolic lift GC is capable of. Orphic Garcinia Cambogia is free of artificial fillers, flavors, binders or coloring. It’s also gluten free, GMO free and produced in a Good Manufacturing Practices facility.
7. Swanson Super Citrimax Garcinia Cambogia
While it’s true Garcinia Cambogia is a fruit (also known as malabar tamarind) it is not in fact a citrus fruit. So when customers see the word “citrimax” in the title of a garcinia cambogia supplement they may be a bit confused. But the “citri” of this product name is a reference to HCA or hydroxycitric acid. Which is the scientific name for this type of GC extract.
That said Swanson Supermax contains 60 percent HCA by volume along with the usual facilitators chromium, calcium and potassium. But it also contains a few artificial ingredients and it’s not considered vegan or vegetarian. Should that matter to you. It is however, produced in a GMP facility and is available at a reasonably attractive price.
8. Nature’s Design Purest Garcinia Cambogia Extract
Nature’s Design Purest Garcinia Cambogia Extract provides 80 percent HCA, which is among the most potent you’ll find. With that much GC in each capsule you have an outstanding chance of enjoying the metabolic boost you’re after. There are no artificial fillers here, no GMOs and it is produced in a certified Good Manufacturing Practices facility.
While that’s all great there are a couple of curious omissions. And by that we mean that, while it includes chromium to buttress its metabolic boosting properties there is no calcium or potassium. Which are known to do the same. If you can get past that you’ll find this an otherwise solid choice. Though not one for vegans, vegetarians or those averse to artificial ingredients.
What is Garcinia Cambogia?
Garcinia Cambogia is a small, unassuming fruit with powerful potential. Also known as Malabar Tamarind it is a tropical fruit native to Southeast Asia. It has a long history in the kitchens and cultures of the area but has only recently found a market in the West due to its ability to boost the metabolism (4). Why is that a big deal? Because the faster one’s metabolism the faster one burns through the food they eat. This greatly reduces the chance that calories will end up around your waist or on your buttocks.
The exact biological mechanism by which HCA (the active component of garcinia cambogia) prompts metabolic rate increases is complex in the extreme. But essentially it blocks the citrate lyase enzyme which the body uses to convert sugars and starch into fat (5). With this enzyme blocked those love handles don’t stand much of a chance of developing. And you have the opportunity to give your weight loss efforts an effective kick start.
What are the Benefits of Taking Garcinia Cambogia?
Unlike some vitamins and minerals that serve multiple purposes, the medicinal properties of garcinia cambogia – or at least the reason people seek it out – come down to one thing: it’s ability to boost the metabolism and provide a leg up on weight loss efforts. Still, that single ability produces a cascade of benefits that, although indirect, are still significant and desirable. The direct and indirect benefits of garcinia cambogia then include:
- Weight loss – The most obvious benefit to be gleaned from garcinia cambogia is its ability to increase the metabolism and help you achieve weight loss without the need for fad diets, dangerous stimulants or starvation. It’s the kind of ability people have been seeking for decades and they now have it available to them by way of this unassuming fruit with the funny name.
- Say goodbye to cold hands – A slow metabolism can manifest itself in numerous ways. Certainly, the slower your metabolism the easier it is to put on weight, whether you want to or not. But that’s not the only drawback of having a slow metabolism. Another is that blood tends to move with less vigor through your veins and this can lead to cold hands and feet. Typically there is a direct correlation between metabolism and blood circulation. The faster the metabolism the better the circulation. As such the better the circulation the warmer your hands and feet. You’ll really appreciate this during the winter months.
- A more upbeat mood – Science is well aware of the link between being obesity and depression (6). By increasing your metabolic rate you stand a good chance of being able to start losing weight and, as a result, experience an uptick in mood. While it’s not likely someone will go from sullen to the life of the party overnight, it is not out of the realm of possibilities that they will experience a noticeable improvement in their overall outlook on life.
- Greater nutrition – A slow metabolism often means that your body does not wind up making the most of the foods you eat. Much of it is converted straight into fat stores and deposited around your mid-section, on your thighs or on your buttocks. A faster metabolism is able to process the food you eat in a more effective manner short circuiting that food-to-fat dynamic.
- More energy – One of the biggest benefits of a faster metabolism is having more energy. As your body burns through fuel more efficiently and your circulation increases greater amounts of nutrients and oxygen are delivered to your muscles providing you with a notable increase in energy. As you begin to lose weight the effect will become even more pronounced. Not only will you feel supercharged, your lighter body will be easier to move around.
- Younger looking skin (7) – Thanks to improved blood circulation more nutrients and oxygen are delivered to the different levels of skin, improving texture and suppleness. Your faster metabolism also does a better job eliminating toxins and wastes from your system resulting again in a healthier looking complexion. It will take some time to realize the full potential of this benefit but it should materialize if you are persistent.
- Enhanced immunity – A faster metabolism will result in better circulation. Not only will nutrients have access to long neglected corners of your physiology but so will white blood cells. White blood cells are the foot soldiers of the immune system. They’re the body’s front line response to invasive microbes, bacteria and viruses. Having them more effectively distributed throughout your body will provide you with an enhanced level of natural immunity.
Are There Any Side Effects to Garcinia Cambogia?
There have been a number of rumors floating around about garcinia cambogia that claim its use presents a danger to the liver. However, a 2013 study published by the National Institutes of Health (8) clearly demonstrated that no such threat to the liver existed. So with that myth effectively debunked are there any other potential side effects people should know about?
- Some scientists suspect that HCA may somehow be connected to elevated levels of serotonin in certain people (9). At the moment the evidence is sketchy and only suggestive and much more research is needed to complete the picture and either confirm or debunk this notion.
- It has also been suggested that because it can increase a person’s metabolism and energy levels that HCA may contribute to elevating the intensity of manic episodes in people with manic depressive syndrome. Though much more study is necessary to determine if this is a fact or merely suspicion.
Who Can Benefit From Garcinia Cambogia?
Garcinia cambogia seems to have come out of nowhere in recent years to move up the leaderboard of important dietary supplements. Although, as we mentioned, it’s not an all purpose nutrient the cascading effects of taking it are often considerable. As such it can be useful to a number of different people including:
- Those looking to lose weight – Garcinia cambogia and weight loss are two peas in a pod. It’s not the dangerous sort of weight loss that results from starvation diets or dependence on amphetamines either. This is natural weight loss generated by the natural process of a slightly faster metabolism. As such it is both sustainable and safe.
- Those in search of better overall health – Even if your weight loss requirements are minimal you can still benefit from the improved blood circulation that comes with garcinia cambogia supplementation. As we mentioned above you’ll have more energy, be more alert and have healthier looking skin to boot. The boost it will provide to your immune system may also enable you to fend off colds and flus more effectively.
- Those currently experiencing mixed results from dieting – Garcinia cambogia will work as either a stand alone dietary supplement or as an adjunct to other dietary efforts. Just as long as those other efforts don’t include amphetamine use or starvation dieting.
What To Look for in a Good Garcinia Cambogia Supplement
As this is a relatively new supplement to the market not many people have an idea what to look for in an effective garcinia cambogia supplement. Not to worry though. We’ve done the research for you and distilled the most desirable qualities down to this short list:
- The amount of garcinia cambogia per capsule – The first thing to look for is also the most obvious: the amount of GC in a given capsule. As a general rule you’ll want each capsule to contain around 500 mg of garcinia cambogia. Keep in mind however that the “per capsule” dose and the “recommended serving” amount are often not the same thing. Serving size often implies that you need to take more than one capsule at a time. Sometimes as many as 3. So don’t assume that serving size means capsule size, or vise versa.
- HCA levels – While garcinia cambogia is the fruit the HCA is gleaned from, it is the HCA itself that does the metabolism boosting magic. Therefore you’ll want your GC supplement to be at least 60 percent HCA. In fact, the higher the better. As you get into the higher percentile ranges however, you need to be aware that some unscrupulous producers make exaggerated claims about the amount of HCA in their capsules or tablets. So read extensively and, if you still feel unsure about a particular product, default to an established and proven name brand like NOW.
- Brand reputation – Speaking of brand names… The number of companies that produce garcinia cambogia supplements today has grown by leaps and bounds. Therefore, trying to determine which brands can be relied on and which you should pass on can be a formidable challenge. If you would like to try this supplement but are uncertain about whether or not you can trust a certain manufacturer we would recommending starting off with an established name brand such as NOW or NutriGold.
- Value – Value is perhaps the most open-ended word in the English language. That’s because in most cases the value of a thing has more than a little to do with intangibles such as beliefs and feelings. When it comes to garcinia cambogia supplements, however, value can be reduced to an equation that measures how much HCA you get per capsule, what if any complementary nutrients are included to facilitate absorption, whether or not the product dovetails with your dietary needs and, of course, the price. If it hits all the nutrient and dietary beats and it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg it’s a good value.