Best Testosterone Booster of 2023
As men age the amount of testosterone produced by their body naturally starts to diminish. But adding another candle to the increasingly crowded cake isn’t the only reason testosterone levels decline. There are a number of other potential causes (1) including a lack of sex, obesity, certain medications such as opioids, pituitary disorders and more. Testosterone boosters exist to provide the necessary vitamins, minerals and other ingredients necessary to kick start testosterone production.
Below are the best testosterone boosters on the market today.
1. Madhouse Labs Warrior Testosterone Booster
As a natural testosterone booster, this supplement is specifically formulated to help men optimize their testosterone levels, which can lead to several benefits for overall health and wellness. By incorporating the Madhouse Labs testosterone booster into your daily routine, you can expect to experience increased energy, better muscle growth, and improved libido. It’s perfect for those looking to enhance their athletic performance or for men who want to improve their overall health.
This supplement is made from a blend of natural ingredients that have been clinically shown to support testosterone production, including tribulus terrestris, maca root, and fenugreek. It is a safe and effective way to naturally boost your testosterone levels without the use of harmful chemicals or synthetic hormones. Madhouse labs has the best t-booster on the market right now.
2. Evlution Nutrition Testosterone Booster
The EVL Testosterone Booster ingredient list includes zinc, magnesium, D-aspartic acid, vitamin D, vitamin B6 and much more. That’s an impressive menu of scientifically proven testosterone boosters. One the most comprehensive on the market. Evlution also earns bonus points for not attempting to mask formulaic weaknesses behind the all too common “proprietary blend” designation. With EVL you know what you’re getting and that what your getting is proven to work.
As a result, you’re likely to experience enhanced physical strength and stamina, increased mental acuity and a more robust libido than you have in years. It’s not a magic pill, but as far as testosterone boosters go it might be as close as they come. Produced in a Good Manufacturing Practices facility right here in the US.
3. Super Test Testosterone Booster Supplement
Super Test takes its lead from EVL (or at least it seems to) and loads you up with the most important testosterone generating ingredients known to science. You won’t find any Eye of Newt or Toe of Frog here. Just vitamins D and B6, zinc and magnesium. Along with a slew of supportive herbs and extracts. The net effect of taking this potent T boosting supplement is likely to be wide ranging and include the aforementioned enhanced strength, endurance and libido among other things.
You’ll need to take their hyper-shredded marketing hype with a grain of salt. But if you can get past the malarky you’re going to find a testosterone booster that’s effective and safe and likely to return your long lost energy and sex drive to you.
3.ELMNT Testosterone Support for Men
Introducing Terra Element Testosterone Enhancing Supplement, a natural and effective way to support healthy testosterone levels in men.
This premium supplement is made with a potent blend of natural ingredients, including Ashwagandha, Pycnogenol, and Tongkat Ali, all known for their testosterone-boosting properties.
Ashwagandha helps to reduce stress and anxiety, which can have a negative impact on testosterone levels. Pycnogenol is a powerful antioxidant that supports cardiovascular health and improves blood flow, while Tongkat Ali has been shown to increase free testosterone levels in men.(2).
Each bottle of Terra Element Testosterone Enhancing Supplement contains 60 capsules, providing a 30-day supply of powerful and effective testosterone support. Simply take 2 capsules per day, and let the natural ingredients work their magic.
4. MuscleTech Test HD, Testosterone Booster Supplement
Muscle Tech has been around for more than 20 years so they’re not here-today gone-tomorrow types just trying to cash in on a health fad. They take the business of supplements seriously and have a good reputation for producing thoughtful and generally effective products. Their Test HD is another testosterone booster supplement that leans heavily on the zinc/boron combination. And that’s good because it’s about as potent a combo as you’ll find. But Test HD doesn’t stop there.
They also toss in broccoli powder, which has demonstrated an ability to help fight prostate cancer (3). While the overall benefit you stand to enjoy from other ingredients like tribulus, nettle root and velvet bean are open for debate Muscle Test HD is on solid ground with its zinc and boron base.
5. TestoGen Triple-Action Testosterone Booster
TestoGen Triple Action Testosterone Booster is one after our own hearts. It hits all the right beats in its ingredient list. That includes magnesium, zinc, vitamin D, vitamin B6, D-aspartic, red ginseng and boron. With an emphasis on magnesium. This is without a doubt one of the most impressive ingredient lists of the current generation of testosterone boosters. As a result it should – if used as directed by an otherwise healthy male – produce the desired effect. TestoGen is a bit more expensive than some of its contemporaries.
But if it were our money on the line and our testosterone deficiency that needed attention, we wouldn’t hesitate. For what it’s worth they also offer a money back guarantee if you’re not completely satisfied.
6. Pharmafreak Test Freak Testosterone Booster
The Pharmafreak ingredient list is headed up by fenugreek and saw palmetto, which is neither here nor there. That’s because whether fenugreek has any ability to affect testosterone levels is very much open to debate. And saw palmetto is known primarily for its ability to prevent testosterone from breaking down into its component parts.
(Apparently, the thinking is that the less decomposing testosterone in your system the more intact testosterone available for other things like libido and energy.) Happily, Pharmafreak doesn’t stop with that ingredient odd couple and lower on the list you’ll see magnesium, zinc and vitamin B6. All 3 of which are proven testosterone boosting agents.
7. JYM Zinc and Magnesium Supplement
JYM Zinc and Magnesium Supplement cuts right to the chase and provides you the 2 most critical minerals you need to boost testosterone production. Both magnesium and zinc are well known for their ability to raise serum testosterone levels and both are represented here in abundance. But while those 2 minerals do most of the heavy lifting they’re not fighting the battle of T levels on their own.
JYM also provides plenty of vitamin B6 as well bioperine, which is known to help facilitate the absorption of both zinc and magnesium. What we like about this supplement is that it’s so straightforward. There are no suspect fillers. No everyday items hiding behind their scientific names in the hopes of making an impression. Just zinc, magnesium, B6 and something to help them do their job.
8. Prime Labs – Men’s Testosterone Booster
Prime Labs Men’s Testosterone Booster relies on less familiar ingredients to get the job done. The Prime Labs approach to elevating testosterone levels is to help you increase your metabolism so you can lose a bit of weight and build some additional muscle. Do that and the theory goes that your testosterone levels will recover on their own as a kind of natural side effect. To help things along they also provide saw palmetto that will prevent the testosterone you already have from breaking down.
The ingredient list also includes horny goat weed, tongkat extract, wild yam extract and more. All compounds known for their ability to boost metabolism and burn fat. This is not an approach that is going to appeal to everyone. But feedback on this supplement indicates it will deliver on its promise for those who are patient and persistent.
9. BPI Sports Men’s Testosterone Booster
BPI Men’s Testosterone Booster invokes the dreaded “proprietary blend” designation presumably in order to protect all the time and money that went into formulating this supplement. And while we’re not fans of less than full disclosure there’s nothing in this proprietary blend that raises red flags, regardless of how much or little is used.
The important part of the ingredient list is the part that says “Zinc”. Because that’s the gold standard of testosterone producing minerals. And any T booster that includes sufficient quantities of zinc and/or magnesium has to be taken seriously.
10. Animal Test – Testosterone Booster with Yohimbe Bark Extract
Animal Test Testosterone Booster takes an alternative path to restoring testosterone levels. One paved with ingredients like yohimbe bark, urtica dioica and white button mushroom. While yohimbe is promoted here as a testosterone booster its real value is more its well known ability to combat ED and to boost libido. Urtica dioica (stinging nettle leaf) is similarly endowed while white button mushrooms have been shown to repress the production of estrogen.
What’s that have to do with men, you ask? Well, just as women produce testosterone in small amounts men produce the “female” hormone estrogen. The bottom line is that Animal Test seeks to enhance testosterone levels by repressing estrogen and addressing one of the best known side effects of low testosterone; ED.
What is Testosterone and What Does it Do?
Testosterone is a hormone found in both men and women. In men it’s produced in the testicles and found at much higher levels than in women. Testosterone is, in effect, what makes men – from a physical standpoint anyway – men. When boys reach puberty (4) the amount of testosterone their body produces increases exponentially.
This activates their reproductive system, generates physical changes to their genitalia, jump starts sperm production and initiates the growth of pubic hair. Testosterone also contributes to the lowering of the voice by about 1 octave, the growth of facial hair, the development of large bones and the development of larger, more powerful muscles.
What are the Benefits of Using a Testosterone Booster?
Taking a testosterone booster is not the same as taking supplemental testosterone. The job of the testosterone booster is to facilitate testosterone production and restore or “boost” it back to its normal levels. That said when testosterone boosters work they can produce an array of benefits including but not limited to:
- Increased strength – Testosterone is an essential element in the muscle building equation (5). It encourages protein synthesis which in turn generates larger, more powerful muscles. A testosterone booster itself won’t actually build bigger muscles, no matter how many steroid cases the manufacturer puts on the label of their product to suggest they will. What they will do, if effective, is reignite testosterone production. Should you decide to take advantage of this and engage in resistance training, you will likely wind up with larger, stronger muscles.
- Improved vascular efficiency – The heart is the most important muscle you have. It is responsible for delivering nutrients and oxygen to every part of your body. By boosting testosterone levels you will increase hemoglobin levels (6) in the blood which in turn means increased oxygen levels throughout the body. More oxygen means greater strength and endurance and more efficient and effective operation of all your muscles. Most notably your heart. A well-oxygenated heart is a healthier heart and one less susceptible to heart attacks, disease and degradation.
- Enhanced sex drive – Testosterone is one of the primary drivers of the sexual impulse. When testosterone levels wane, the sex drive wanes. When the sex drive wanes the frequency of sexual encounters diminishes. When a man stops having sex his testicles effecitively become dormant and stop producing testosterone. Which only further reduces the sex drive. It’s a viscious cycle. Restoring testosterone production will help restore and revitalize the sex drive. It may not turn someone into Casanova overnight but it should result in a marked increase in sexual interest.
- Enhanced mental acuity – We mentioned that increased testosterone production can result in increased oxygen levels in the blood. This is good for energy levels and has a positive effect on cardiovascular health. But increased oxygen levels in the blood also mean increased oxygen levels in the brain. And this will produce a quantifiable boost in overall brain function. Increased testosterone levels have also been linked to enhanced memory in men (7).
- A more positive outlook – One of the most surprising effects of using testosterone boosters is that they can help improve a man’s outlook on life. The exact mechanisms for this are not fully understood. But it is believed that since low levels of testosterone can lead to fatigue, moodiness and even depression, restoring proper testosterone levels would alleviate those symptoms (8). Essentially unmasking a man’s natural, more optimistic outlook.
What to Look For in a Testosterone Booster?
Different producers use different recipes to help restore testosterone production. Exactly which combination of ingredients will be best for a particular man will largely depend on the man’s age, their weight, their level of activity and how far the production of testosterone in their system has dropped. That said, these are some of the most common ingredients to be found in testosterone boosters today:
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D can’t be produced by the body internally. Vitamin D comes from exposure to the sun and if we don’t get enough sun we don’t get enough vitamin D and we’ll need to supplement. Vitamin D plays an important role in testosterone production (9) so if your testosterone booster includes it, all the better.
- Vitamin B6 – Vitamin B6 is an unlikely suspect in the hunt for substances that aid in testosterone production. While clinical data is limited preliminary studies on rats strongly suggest a connection between B6 and levels of testosterone circulating in the bloodstream.
- D-Aspartic Acid – This is an amino acid that until about 10 years ago was not suspected of having any connection to testosterone levels, circulation or synthesis. At that time however, researchers uncovered a connection (10) and it is now believed that D-aspartic acid plays an important role in the release of testosterone from the testes.
- Ginseng – Ginseng is believed by traditional healers to play an important role in boosting libido, preventing ED, and raising sperm counts. In the West, research aimed at confirming or debunking this belief has produced mixed results (11). Still, there is enough circumstantial evidence to suggest a positive ginseng/testosterone connection that it can’t hurt if your booster supplement includes ginseng.
- Zinc – Zinc seems another unlikely testosterone booster yet research has been fairly conclusive in establishing a link between zinc and the levels of serum testosterone in healthy men (12). A lot of testosterone boosters today include zinc for this very reason.
- Magnesium – Chalk magnesium up as another unexpected component in the fight to restore testosterone levels (13). Researchers concluded beyond much doubt that there is a link between magnesium and testosterone levels. Particularly in older men.
In addition to these mostly familiar ingredients many testosterone boosters call upon everything from oyster extract to boron to a panoply of traditional herbs in their attempt to promote testosterone production.
A Word About “Proprietary Blends”
If you’ve spent any time reading supplement labels in recent years you’ll be familiar with the term “proprietary blend”. This blanket designation was created by the FDA to allow manufacturers to comply with disclosure regulations regarding ingredients. By invoking the proprietary blend companies are able to be in compliance without having to give away trade secrets regarding exact amounts of which ingredients were used. Unfortunately, many companies use the designation these days to hide the fact that they are only using tiny amounts of important (and likely expensive) ingredients. It’s always best if a supplement maker practices full disclosure.
Who Can Benefit from Testosterone Boosters?
There are a number of different types of people who might benefit from testosterone boosters. Including:
- Men with symptoms of low testosterone – If you suffer from ED, overall fatigue, a loss of muscle mass, a loss of memory or the development of “man boobs” it may be a sign of reduced testosterone levels. Taking a testosterone booster can restore your natural testosterone levels and help you regain vim and vigor.
- Bodybuilders – Because testosterone is a foundational component in the process of muscle growth bodybuilders often benefit from testosterone boosters. We should reiterate however, that testosterone boosters are not the same as testosterone shots. That is, they won’t artificially inflate your testosterone levels beyond normal the way a shot will. Their role instead is to restore proper testosterone levels. So, if a bodybuilder feels their T levels may be waning using a booster in concert with resistance training can be effective. The same goes for all athletes in general.
- Those with ED – The little blue pill is without a doubt one of the most important medical stories of the past half century. But Viagra may also be one of the most overused and misused drugs on the planet. Often times men who have seen their sex drive diminish and who begin having problems achieving and maintaining erections simply assume they must need big V. In many cases however, testosterone boosters or testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) may be all that’s required (14).
Do Testosterone Boosters Have Side Effects?
Because testosterone boosters are not a form of hormone therapy the ingredients they use typically won’t produce any odious side effects. But because these supplements are designed to raise testosterone levels it is possible that a particular man may experience side effects related to those elevated T levels. The possible side effects of elevated testosterone levels include:
- Aggression – If the booster is doing a bang up job elevating testosterone levels a man may find himself becoming quick to anger and more aggressive in his interactions (15).
- Increased appetite – As a man’s hormone levels return to normal he may decide to exercise and this may well result in larger, stronger muscles. These muscles however will cry out for nourishment and so the man may find he has a bigger appetite than previously.
- Increased libido – This is one of the most predictable side effects of elevated testosterone levels. For most guys it’s also likely the most appreciated.
Testosterone boosters can have a net positive effect on men whose T levels have waned for one reason or another. If you suffer from low energy, sexual disinterest, ED or any of the other symptoms we outlined on this page a testosterone booster may be in order. Just keep the above information regarding ingredients, benefits and possible side effects in mind when choosing one.