The importance of the kidneys cannot be overstated. They are the body’s primary means for eliminating waste. But that’s not their only job. They also help regulate blood pressure, have a hand in producing red blood cells, produce an active form of vitamin D that’s essential for strong bones and help balance the pH level in your body.
That’s a lot to ask of a couple of small, bean shaped organs. Keeping your kidneys clean and humming along in a healthy fashion then is essential to maintaining good overall health. And a kidney cleanse is one of the best ways to ensure that happens.
Below we’re going to take a close look at the best kidney cleanse supplements for 2021.
1. Pure Premium Kidney Support Supplement
There is no single agreed upon recipe for a kidney cleanse. Pure Premium Kidney Support Supplement uses cranberry extract, juniper berry, astragalus and nettle leaf to flush waste and promote urinary tract health. These are easy to swallow veggie capsules that are certified both vegan and vegetarian safe. The ingredient list is a cornucopia of herbal standards including ginger root, turmeric and green leaf tea.
Ingredients with a long history in traditional medicine for ensuring robust kidney function. The manufacturer suggests taking 1 capsule once or twice per day to achieve maximum benefit. Pure Premium kidney cleanse capsules are produced in a Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) facility in the US under the watchful eye of the FDA. That facility however, also processes soy, eggs, wheat, peanuts and other known food allergens. So be mindful of that should you have food sensitivities.
2. Sunergetic Premium Kidney Cleanse Supplement
Sunergetic Premium Kidney Cleanse Supplement leverages more than 15 herbs to produce its kidney cleansing effects. Those herbs include juniper berry, nettle leaf, horsetail powder, buchu leaf, cranberry extract, ginger, rosemary and more. It’s a potent lineup that also happens to be 100 percent vegan and vegetarian and is delivered in a vegetable cellulose capsule.
Sunergetic supplements are produced in an FDA registered, GMP facility in the US and are subjected to rigorous quality control protocols. There are no genetically modified organisms used here and no artificial sweeteners, preservatives or color. Just a couple of dozen herbs with a long history of providing kidney related benefits. The company is so confident their kidney cleanse will work for you they also offer a full 1 year unconditional money back guarantee.
3. NutriOnn Kidney Cleanse
A common theme among kidney cleanse supplements is the inclusion of cranberry. That’s because, while it’s long been known to help prevent and treat urinary tract infections, it plays a lesser known but equally important role in overall kidney health (1) by helping prevent the formation of kidney stones.
NutriOnn Kidney Cleanse provides a large dose of cranberry, alongside astragalus, birch root, goldenrod, ginger root, turmeric and other herbs that are staples of traditional Chinese medicine. There’s also blueberry, raspberry and strawberry fruit powders. As well as green leaf tea powder for energy. NutriOnn is a relatively new, relatively small company that is trying to carve out a space for itself in the crowded supplement field. Judging from the response to their kidney cleanse they’re on the right track.
4. Nature’s Goodwill Kidney Cleanse
Like the other items on this list Nature’s Goodwill Kidney Cleanse is a supplement designed to be taken every day as a way to ensure waste buildup doesn’t occur. The formula leverages the cleansing power of more than 20 herbs. Those include goldenrod, uva ursi leaf (2) and, of course, a generous dose of cranberry extract.
Nature’s Goodwill Kidney Cleanse is produced in a Good Manufacturing Practices facility so you can be sure of the quality. It is not, however, certified vegan or vegetarian should that be important to you. There is also no indication that the product is devoid of genetically modified organisms. Again, that’s important to some folks. If you are one of them take note.
5. Kidney Restore Natural Kidney Cleanse
Kidney Restore Natural Kidney Cleanse was created by a kidney disease sufferer who also happens to be a nutritionist and neuropath. That doctor felt that the market did not provide what the body required for maintaining optimal kidney health. These are time-release capsules that utilize sodium bicarbonate to neutralize excess kidney acids.
There are also probiotics intended to support gut health. Which is so important to nutrient absorption and overall wellbeing. It’s a different approach than most other manufacturers take and it’s attracted quite a bit of positive buzz. The overall effect is to increase kidney health, enhance kidney function and increase urine production. You won’t find the typical herbal ingredient list here. Instead what you get is niacin (3), sodium bicarb and the aforementioned probiotics.
6. Simply Health Kidney Cleanse
After our short detour down the more clinically-based kidney cleanse route we return to the land of traditional ingredients. Simply Health Kidney Cleanse is heavy on the cranberry and astragalus and supports them with uva ursi, nettle leaf, goldenrod, birch leaves and more. Astragalus (4) is an herb you’ll find in most kidney cleanse supplements. It’s been a mainstay of traditional Chinese medicine for centuries.
It’s a potent antioxidant and is said to have the ability to boost the immune system and help fend off kidney-damaging diabetes. Simply Health supplements are produced in a GMP facility in the US, under FDA supervision. This one in particular, however, is neither vegan nor vegetarian-certified. And no claims are made that it is free of genetically modified organisms. Should those things matter to you.
7. Rejuvica Health Cleanse Drops
Rejuvica Health Cleanse Drops are another supplement that takes a slightly different approach to kidney health. This is the simplest formulation on our list consisting only of phyllanthus niruri (5), GMO-free vegetable glycerin and filtered spring water. That’s it.
The company is short on specifics but phyllanthus niruri can trace its medicinal origins to native peoples of the Amazon basin who used it to treat kidney stones. Does it work? A lot of people think so. Though there is virtually no clinical testing to prove or disprove its efficacy. Take 1/4 teaspoon 1 – 3 times per day.
8. Dr. Christopher’s Original Kidney Formula
Dr. Christopher believes in the full-on herbal root to achieve kidney health. But surprisingly there is no cranberry or astragalus. Instead this kidney cleanse formula relies entirely on juniper berry, parsley root, goldenseal, uva ursi leaf and organic ginger root to clear the renal system of impurities and get things moving again.
There are no added chemicals or fillers, no common food allergens and the capsules are produced in a GMP facility in the US. They’re also vegan and vegetarian friendly and support both kidney and liver health.
9. Opportuniteas Organic Kidney Cleanse Tea
Here’s another kidney cleanse that varies from the standard model and does so with what are said to be reliable results. Opportuniteas Kidney Cleanse Tea features 4 superfoods that provide a boost to your energy while supporting kidney function. Cranberry, as we’ve seen, is well-known for its ability to stave off infection and prevent kidney stones.
Other ingredients here are matcha green leaf tea, ginger and lemon. There’s no added sugar, artificial ingredients or genetically modified organisms. Also no gluten or other common food allergens and the product is certified organic. They also offer a money back guarantee. So it’s something of a no-lose situation.
10. Nature’s Health Liver & Kidney Cleanse
The last kidney cleanse on our list comes from Nature’s Health. This supplement also takes the herbal route but uses a different set of herbs than most others. Included here is rehmannia root, dogwood fruit, Chinese yam, mulberry mistletoe and a host of others.
Many of these are unproven in clinical trials but have millions of devotees worldwide who swear by their efficacy. Nature’s Health Liver & Kidney Cleanse is manufactured in a GMP facility and contains no common food allergens or artificial ingredients.
What is a Kidney Cleanse?
While the kidneys are in theory self-cleaning the reality is the stars have to align just right for that to happen. You have to eat the right balance of fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of water everyday, avoid excessive sodium intake and avoid drinking too much alcohol or consuming too much sugar. How many people can say they do that? Not many. People, especially these days, eat high-fat, high-sodium diets and most don’t drink nearly as much water as they should. In addition, it can be difficult to resist the lure of sweets. And alcohol consumption is at an all time high among adults worldwide.
The result is that kidneys often find themselves under siege from bad habits. And such they aren’t as efficient as they could be. They get clogged with contaminants or can’t perform their many important functions as well as they should. And that’s when trouble starts. That trouble can take many forms including infections and the one thing anyone who’s ever experienced it never wants to experience again: kidney stones. The kidney cleanse enables you to compensate for dietary or lifestyle excesses and head off problems before they occur.
What are the Benefits of a Kidney Cleanse?
The kidneys are vital for eliminating waste products, producing red blood cells and providing other important bodily functions. Therefore, it’s no exaggeration to say a person is really only as healthy as their kidneys. The cleaner and more efficient your kidneys the better you’ll look and feel and the more energy and vitality you’ll have. With that in mind the benefits of a kidney cleanse include:
- You’ll feel less bloated – Kidneys that have become clogged with toxins and other waste can’t work as effectively as they should. The primary task of the kidneys is to eliminate excess fluid and waste from the body. But if they’re not working properly this excess fluid starts to back up and a person may start to experience edema (6). Cleansing the kidneys allows them to go back to processing excess fluids properly and bloating typically subsides.
- You’ll feel more energetic – When the kidneys are not processing fluids efficiently edema or swelling takes hold. Not only that, but waste products are not being filtered from the blood at an appropriate rate. Having these toxins moving around and building up in the bloodstream is going to affect energy levels. Cleansing the kidneys should reset those energy levels.
- You’ll be less susceptible to infections – Kidney stones (7) are a common cause of kidney infections. Kidney stones block the urinary tract, causing a backup of harmful bacteria the body wants to expel but is unable to. A kidney infection is the result. By adding a kidney cleanse supplement to your diet you reduce the risk of infections resulting from kidney stones.
- Help prevent kidney stones – Speaking of kidney stones… Kidney stones are typically caused by high levels of certain minerals in the urine. These minerals can build up if the kidney is not working at optimal efficiency. While there is no known ironclad way of guaranteeing a person will not develop kidney stones, it is believed you can reduce the odds by engaging using a kidney cleanse supplement.
- You’ll likely have better looking skin – The skin is an accurate reflection of someone’s inner state. People whose kidneys are not functional at a high level have excess toxins circulating through their system. The skin is the largest organ of the human body (8). As such, it’s going to reflect the presence of excess toxins in the form of eczema (9), acne and more. If you’re skin has been suffering of late there’s a chance it may clear up somewhat after using a kidney cleanse.
- Healthier nails – Few people realize it but the key to strong, fast-growing fingernails is healthy kidneys. Poorly functioning kidneys or kidney disease can lead to misshapen, weak fingernails (10). When the kidneys are functioning at a high level they send generous amounts of the proper nutrients to your nails and the difference is apparent.
- Healthier bones – If the kidneys are performing poorly it can lead to a buildup of calcium, phosphorous and certain hormones that negatively impact the production of all-important bone marrow (11). The kidneys also play an important role in the utilization of vitamin D, which impacts calcium absorption. If calcium absorption is low bones and teeth can become weak and brittle.
What are Some Causes of Kidney Dysfunction?
When your kidneys are not functioning properly your entire body suffers from bones to skin. If this poor performance continues for more than 3 months health professionals characterize it as ‘chronic kidney disease’. There are a slew of reasons the kidneys may be malfunctioning, including:
- A buildup of toxins – This is the primary cause we are discussing here and the reason it is recommended people use a kidney cleanse. This is typically caused by poor diet, lack of proper hydration and other preventable, lifestyle causes. Some of the other causes will defy complete alleviation by a kidney cleanse. Although it may help mitigate some of the more odious aspects of those conditions.
- Diabetes – The diabetic is unable to produce enough insulin to effectively deal with their amount of blood glucose. Out of control blood glucose levels can impact everything from your thought processes to eyesight to kidney function (12). Diabetes is considered to be one of the primary causes of kidney disease.
- High blood pressure – High blood pressure can also cause kidney dysfunction (13). When blood pressure is out of control it can cause a weakening of the artery walls. The damaged arteries are no longer able to deliver sufficient quantities of blood for the kidneys to do their job properly and kidneys lose their ability to filter effectively. Keeping blood pressure under control can alleviate this problem.
- Kidney stones – The propensity for kidney stones may be inherited. Or kidney stones may form because kidney function is compromised by a buildup of toxins and not enough water. For those with a genetic predisposition to kidney stones a kidney cleanse supplement may not be of much help. But for others a kidney cleanse can prevent the compromised kidney function that sometimes leads to the formation of stones.
- Glomerulonephritis – Sometimes an untreated strep infection can cause glomerulonephritis (14), which affects the ability of the kidneys to filter effectively. In many cases however, the exact cause of this condition is unknown. A high-quality kidney cleanse supplement is not guaranteed to fend of this condition. But, because the exact cause cannot always be pinned down, making sure your kidneys are always operating a peak efficiency is a common sense precaution.
- Alcohol and drug abuse – Alcohol abuse is a common cause of kidney dysfunction (15). Street drugs such as heroin and crack cocaine as well as opiates can also cause irreparable damage to the kidneys (16). In addition, prolonged use of over the counter painkillers like acetaminophen can cause kidney damage too.
What are Some Tips for Caring for Your Kidneys?
There are a number of steps you can take to better care for your kidneys and reduce the risk of short-term dysfunction or long-term chronic kidney disease.
- Avoid drinking excessive amounts of alcohol – As we have seen alcohol and drug abuse are common factors leading to kidney dysfunction and kidney disease.
- Be mindful not to consume excessive amounts of sugar – Excessive sugar intake can and often does lead to the development of type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes in turn is a major cause of chronic kidney disease.
- Drink plenty of water every day – Water is as important to human existence as air and food. Always make sure you drink at least 8 cups of water per day to fend off kidney problems. This is even more important when taking a kidney cleanse.
- Monitor your weight to prevent type 2 diabetes (17) and high blood pressure – Obesity is another common cause of type 2 diabetes. Try and eat healthy foods and watch your weight.
The importance of proper hydration cannot be overstated. The human body is more than 60 percent water. Every cell in the body depends on water to function properly. Every organ, especially the kidneys, also depends on an adequate supply of H2O in order to do its job. Remember, the role of the kidney is to create urine. That urine is the vehicle the body uses to expel waste products filtered out of the blood. Little or no urine means little or no way for the kidneys to do their job. Drink water.
Are There any Side Effects to a Kidney Cleanse?
Countless people use kidney cleanse products every day without experiencing any significant side effects. However, that doesn’t mean the kidney cleanse is always 100 percent side effect free. Some people have reported that a kidney cleanse supplements produce:
- Bad breath
- And various aches and pains
Some people also claim the kidney cleanse process generates food cravings. Though there is no way to verify or dismiss such claims. So take them with a grain of salt.
The Bottom Line
The kidneys are the body’s main vehicle for filtering waste material from the blood and expelling it from the body. As such it is vital that a person do what they can to promote kidney health for the duration of their life. This includes eating healthy foods, watching your weight and drinking plenty of water to facilitate the production of urine. Adding a kidney cleanse supplement to your diet will help flush existing pent up waste and prevent waste backups from happening in the future. If you feel the condition of your kidneys warrants a more vigorous, intensive approach than a dietary supplement can provide it’s probably time to see your doctor.
A detox cleanse is intended to rid the body of toxins that build up in a person’s system over time. These toxins may come from the food we eat or the environment, but regardless of their point of...
Men have different nutritional needs than women and those nutritional needs change as they age. The right multivitamin for a 25 year old man is not the same as the right multivitamin for a 65 year...